Went to visit my friend Marty to-day for the first time in two years--he's a teacher at the high school I went to, and always good to discuss books or movies with. In discussing the film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road , Marty said that, though he liked the film, he was finding these days that books generally feel more "real" than movies. I could see what he meant--with modern movies being constructions of a lot of rapid cuts and textured cgi, there's something unfiltered about a single, unaided narrative voice. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I was interested in a point Marty made about the tradition of storytelling implied by the existence of narrative in the book taking the edge off somewhat from the bleak subject matter--that is, creating a more three dimensional experience. Anyway, he recommended that movie, The Fantastic Mr. Fox , and a few others. I ran into a cousin of mine while I was there who I hadn't seen in some years. I noticed he and two of his friends with him had exactly the same haircut--shoulder length, very treated wavy hair. It almost looked like Farrah Fawcett hair except parted at the side with a swoop of hair hanging a sharp right over the forehead. Feeling like crap to-day--barely any sleep. I fell asleep okay at around 5am, but woke up at around 8am with shooting pains in my abdomen and pelvic region. I was kept up then more from worry than pain, though I guess it's pretty clear I need to see a doctor again . . . Twitter Sonnet 87 Ten hours now marked by pencil and ink. Absence of coffee prevents extra thought. Actions just happen as I do not think. Is this the mind for which medicine fought? Iron candy canes in a cold tin can. The impotent heater fringing the wall. White box for dinner holds half a cold yam. Holy fucking shit I need alcohol. The most obnoxious noises drift up. Contamination's too quick and easy. It's a liquid Wack-a-Mole for your cup. Nothing like a car wash makes you queasy. The kids have a brand new haircut for school. Into white sunlight creeps a sleepless ghoul.